Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The end of summer looms...

In all honesty, it doesn't feel like summer has even started! For those of you who do not live directly on one of the Great Lakes, they have a tendency to drastically alter the temperature close to shore. Since I live downtown (and seldom leave the city limits unless it's out of the state all together), I, like my fellow neighbors, have had to deal with the harsh fact that during a cooler than normal summer, living by the lake doesn't help. It has struggled all summer to get out of the 70's by Lake Michigan! Hell, sometimes it even struggled to get INTO the 70's by the lake.

With all of this whining about the weather, you're probably expecting to hear that I'm a fair-weather sailor and failed to venture out unless the conditions were perfect. Wrong. I now have a strong appreciation for the show "Deadliest Catch." Stories to come.

I guess I'll also acknowledge that this is the first post I've done since I started working on my boat in the spring. While my lack of posting is clearly apparent, there is good reason: most of my free time is spent out sailing!

My intent is to spend the fall and winter months reflecting on a summer that, while it wasn't exactly warm, proved to be an enormous amount of fun! I've also come a long way in my knowledge of sail trim, rigging, and ability to duck a swinging boom during a jibe! More on that later.

The one major project I have to complete before Jep gets put away for the season is prepping the bottom for painting. Why would I do this might you ask? I'm finally sucking it up and slipping the boat next season. Again, details to follow.

I apologize to my loyal reader (note the singular "reader" is not a typo) for neglecting the blog. I'm really trying to do my best to stir interest in reading by ending my paragraphs with catchy phrases like "details to follow" or "Stories to come." Any of these tricky phrases working for you (asking in the Stewie Griffin voice)?

Anywho, stay posted! I'll be posting pictures and HUGE lies that make me look really cool and awesome.

3 comments:

  1. At least you got a gratuitous Family Guy reference in the blog. That is a step in the right direction. Now, only if you could somehow incorporate Will Wheaton and a duel humped camel, this blog would have it all!

    As a loyal blog reader, does it entitle me to preferential PBR selection status?

    ReplyDelete
  2. More out of curiosity, but do sailboats like yours, or other seaworthy vessels come with a weight guideline? Obviously there has to be a maximum capacity for weight/persons, but I am not a sailor, nor do I pretend to be, so how is the weight capacity of a boat determined?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since 1972, monohull boats have been required to carry capacity plates. Since my boat is 24 feet, there is technically no capacity "limit". However, as a general rule of thumb, you multiply the boats length by its beam and divide by 15. So for Jep, 24 * 8 = 192 / 15 = 12.8 persons. This assumes a weight of 150lbs. However, I don't like to sail with more than 6 on the boat. I've had 8 on there before. It becomes too cumbersome.

    ReplyDelete