Monday, January 23, 2012

New-to-Jep Spinnaker

I know, I know, I know. I have once again neglected my poor blog. That's all going to change! As the month of January comes to a close, I find myself getting into the spring planning mode!

I have a number of ideas for upcoming posts to update the three people who read my blog, but for now, I'll give you the latest news.

Today I ordered a "New-to-Jep" spinnaker sail! Why did I buy used you might ask? There are a couple reasons, actually.

First, I barely know how to fly a chute (slang for spinnaker). I would much rather shred up a $250 dollar sail vs. a brand new $1200 sail.

Second, while I'm not actively shopping for a larger boat, I'd certainly entertain making an offer on the right boat. It doesn't make much sense putting, pardon the pun, a boat load of money into something I may only have for a couple more years. It's like the clowns who put $4000 rims on a 2001 Chevy Impala. Really? Save your money for a nicer vehicle...or a muffler...or some pants that fit. But I digress...

Searching for a used chute was far easier than I expected. Once I knew the luff and foot dimensions (30'6" luff / 15'3" foot) recommended for a Captiva 240, I began searching inventories of sail lofts on the Internet. To my surprise, there are a number of sail lofts around the country that carry an extensive inventory of used sails. After firing off 5-6 emails to various lofts, I found a sail!

I purchased a used MURPHY & NYE .75oz cross cut sail from Bacon Sails in Annapolis, Maryland. The dimensions of the sail are nearly perfect (30'6" luff / 15'6" foot) and the colors match the colors on my boat! The price was right, the dimensions were right, the colors were right and the overall condition of the sail appears to be very good. The only thing the sail needs are my sail numbers! Can't wait to see this thing flying 52997!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment