Monday, March 7, 2011

2011 Spring Planning and Projects

It's funny how after enduring snow, cold, and generally crappy weather, your mind eagerly awaits spring planning for the upcoming sailing season. While I'm always brainstorming improvements for Jep, I generally try to put off my spring planning until early March for a simple reason: planning too early will drive me insane!

In my own twisted way, I equate spring planning to vacation planning. When it all boils down, Jep is my little 24 foot vacation home on the river, so I guess it's not too crazy!

Luckily all of the hard work was completed last year. If you review previous posts, you will realize the extensive man hours that went into my spring preparation in 2010. From barrier coating to installing genoa track, Jep began to transform from a bare bones cruiser to a racer with some creature comforts.

Not to take away from this season's spring festivities, but I do not envision logging nearly the number of hours as I (and Drew) did last year.

So what's in store for this year? Glad you asked!

Most importantly, Jep has a new main! I've posted quite extensively on the new main. I finally took the sail out of the bag and unfolded it partially. What a difference between the old bed sheet I had been flying and the new sail! The material is unquestionably denser and stiffer with noticeable improvements in workmanship. The most striking difference I found was the difference in batten length (among numerous others). As the new main has 2 full battens, one of them is approximately 5'7" long. I believe the longest batten in my old main was maybe 30".

Since the new main has a loose foot (no bolt rope that travels through the boom), having an adjustable outhaul is essential. The outhaul system I am installing is quite simple. It consists of a regular block that attaches to the back of the boom and two cheek blocks (only one pictured) that will be placed at each end of the boom. I purchased 3/16" New England Sta-Set line to complete the system. The outhaul will route back to the cockpit.

Another improvement due to the new main is the addition of a rope clutch and winch. Previously we would use our brute strength to hoist the main and add the desired tension to the luff of the sail. This worked to a certain degree in lighter air, but in heavy air, we never had the halyard tension required for the conditions. Having a new sail coupled with racing this season, being able to properly adjust halyard and luff tension is essential. Pictured are the new additions: Spinlock XAS rope clutch and a Forespar Marelon #6 self lubricating winch.

At some point I will be modifying my backstay to make it adjustable. I have yet to purchase the necessary hardware but I know exactly what I want and need to make that a reality.

There you have it! Besides adding all of my fun new toys, I'll be doing some simple cosmetic work in various areas in addition to my usual bottom and wood work.

No comments:

Post a Comment